All CPS Band Students in Grades 6-8 are encouraged to join the Chelmsford All Town Wind Ensemble in the 15-16 school year. The All Town Wind Ensemble (ATWE) is a group of motivated band students who want to play advanced band music with other musicians from across the district. ATWE is made up of McCarthy, Parker, and CHS students. ATWE is co-directed by Allison Lacasse and Sean Wright, along with other band teachers in town.
Email from Feb. 3, 2016:
To focus on for next week’s rehearsal:
6:00-6:25PM: Sousa (El Capitan)
- Recap of Feb 3 rehearsal: Every articulation MUST be taken literally. You are not going to play accents, staccato, marcato articulations unless you are actively thinking about them from measure 1 to the end. Let’s not have to talk about articulation anymore!
- Dynamics: Every mf dynamic should be rewritten as a mp. Your fortissimo dynamics only come out a few times in this piece- make them count, and make them different from the forte moments.
- We will be spending a lot of time on this piece with a metronome. The quarter note or dotted quarter note should be 120 BPM.
6:25-6:45: Galante (Redemption)
- TUNING and Tone m. 1-9 – Soloists be confident!
- Do not overplay. Warm and beautiful sounds no matter where you are on the instrument
- Balance at m. 25 so we can hear the countermelody in the Alto 2, Trumpet 3, and Horns (this is the interesting part). Write that down at measure 25- this way, you’ll absolutely know who to listen for.
- Warm and forte at 29. Play round sound with “ah” or “oh”
- We will focus on m. 33-49 next week.
6:45-7:15: Sectionals and Break
7:20-8:00: Maslanka (Rollo)
- Same detail-oriented dissection next week from measures 62 to the end.
- Know ALL of your notes. Know ALL of your rhythms. Know your counting.
- Be constantly aware of required articulations.
- Know what type of character your instrument is playing.
- Full run-through of the piece at the end of rehearsal.
Miss Allison Lacasse & Mr. Sean Wright, Co-Directors
McCarthy Middle School Band Program
250 North Road, Chelmsford, MA 01824
Lacassea@chelmsford.k12.ma.us & Wrights@chelmsford.k12.ma.us
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.